It is very important to make informed decisions for getting your Commercial Driver's License. Getting a California Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) involves different steps.
CDL Requirements California To Be Submitted at Preliminary Stage
There are some medical and residency requirements that are to be submitted at the preliminary stages.
If you are someone who carries relevant commercial driving knowledge and possesses all the necessary skills, you can easily meet the requirements.
The process of getting your Commercial Learner's Permit involves a few steps:
- Grab a free copy of the California CDL manual/CDL handbook.
- The California CDL manual is available at every field location.
- It can be easily printed and downloaded from the California website.
- California has a different process for getting the Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP).
- You need to decide which vehicle, driving, and license class you wish to apply for.
- There are 3 classes of Commercial Driving License CLASS A CDL CLASS B, and CLASS C CDL namely.
- There are endorsements for classified qualifications like school buses, tank trucks, tractor-trailers, etc.
- You need to pass every California Learner's Permit Test (CLP), endorsements, and in some cases a 3-part skills test in the representative type vehicle.
- It is very important that you pass every requisite test or you may risk having some restrictions on the license.
Minimum Requirements for Getting your CDL Commercial Learner's Permit
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must possess a Non- Commercial Driver's License.
- You must also have a formulated driver's license in a non-permit status accompanied by your commercial class permit.
- You are required to present your proof of citizenship or proof of national residency.
- You need to show your birth certificate and valid passport.
- You are required to present your right-to-work documents as authorized by homeland security i.e. I94, and I55 credentials which include your green card as well.
- According to 391.11 (b)2 guidelines you need to communicate effectively in English pursuant.
- You are required to pass all your background checks as well.
About Department of Transportation (DOT) Physical
- The recruiter will schedule the DOT physical near your location.
- You can download the driver pulse app. This app was devised by Tenstreet.
- You will receive a barcode and DOT physical appointment on your Driver Pulse app.
- The DOT will scan your barcode from the app.
- After applying you can take your DOT physical and get a long form physical/Medical Examination Report Form along with your medical card.
- You are required to carry along the physical and medical long-form to the DMV for testing of the permit.
Passing Your Permit Examination
- Visit your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and apply for the Class A CDL learner's permit.
- You need to fill out a medical certification form at the DMV which depicts "Non-Expected Interstate."
- Do verify that your permit is not having a K Restriction or Intrastate-Only Restriction.
- Take a picture of the front and back of the Class A permit along with the pre-existing driver's license and email your recruiter.
Commercial Learner's Permit FAQs
What is a Commercial Learner's Permit?
The commercial Learner's permit (CLP) is very much identical to other driver permits. After getting the commercial learner's permit you become eligible for truck driver training under the supervision of experienced instructors from accredited CDL training schools. After the completion of the training, you can acquire the CDL and begin driving on your own.
What is the duration of the Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP)?
The rules of the Commercial Learner's Permit vary across different states. But for most every state, the CLP expires after 180 days from the date it was issued. Some states like Missouri allow their drivers to keep their CLP for 360 days till the day it expires. You need to check your state's rules to know more about the validity of your CLP.
What is the cost of getting a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP)?
The cost of a commercial learner's permit varies from state to state. In Missouri, one can get a CLP for $7.50. In IOWA the CLP cost is $12. You need to check your state to get better details about the fees of CLP.